Are you ready to grow with HoneyBee?
HoneyBee is currently recruiting with our growing team at our Los Angeles office. We don’t have a set title for this role but this candidate will be spearheading our Growth, Marketing and Branding strategy. We are seeking someone who is creative, think strategically and a great leader to contribute on a large scale. Leadership is particularly important since the candidate must align all market-facing functions to a shared growth objective and will eventually build a growth team whose culture is suited to the challenging and experimental nature of the work. This future HoneyBee will gain visibility and have to be fluent in the full spectrum of HoneyBee’s acquisition channels;
- Owned Media: Email, Facebook, Twitter, Apps
- Paid: Ads (Mobile, Web, Video, TV, Radio, SEM, Affiliate), Sponsorships
- Earned Media: SEO, PR, Word of Mouth
Each channel has its own advantages, trade-offs, and idiosyncrasies. An intimate and specific knowledge of the channels that are most effective in reaching HoneyBee’s product’s target audience is critical. This role will be critical to our future success, and we are looking for candidates who share our passion for improving the financial lives for the 78% of Americans that are living paycheck to paycheck in the U.S. Our mission is to protect working Americans from predatory lending practices and provide access to affordable credit. Ideally, whoever we hire will learn everything we know about this industry and more, helping to drive innovation in one of the world’s largest and most complex industries while delivering the best products and services to our customers.
HoneyBee is a Certified Benefit Corporation® with a social mission to offer employers the unique ability to promote their employees’ financial wellness while shielding them from predatory lenders.
You will be the arms and legs of our beehive. You represent HoneyBee and our brand represents trust and authenticity. We care deeply about our mission and our customers. Our customers are both HR leaders and their employees. Key responsibilities include; defining the company’s growth plan, coordinating and executing growth programs and optimizing the revenue funnel – your success is based on how hard you are willing to work. No guts, no glory!
You will also be the eyes and ears of the company. You will become the right hand superstar to support the CEO and execute our marketing and public relations growth strategy in different phases. Understand what our brand stands for, what will set us apart from other fintech companies, find out how our target audience empathizes with our product.
*Please note: honorary wings need to be earned 🙂
What we believe this position requires:
Someone that is empathetic, hungry and embodies the tagline #EverydayWeHustlin’.
Our founding team started HoneyBee in one of our parent’s basements because we put all our cage-free eggs in this basket. We love the startup roller coaster ride. We are resilient. We expect you to have the same work ethics. Teamwork makes the dream work. Fill gaps. There’s no such thing as “it’s not my job.” We can handle our gluten but we are highly allergic to lazy folks. You will work closely with the CEO to lead in the formation of a positive public narrative surrounding HoneyBee, maintain positive working relationships with media members.
Other responsibilities include:
- Collaborating with channel-specific marketing (blogging, email, social media, etc.) to identify areas for growth while leading the effort in creating and curating engaging content across all channels.
- Plan and execute the Women & Financial Literacy Initiative which includes;
- Building partnerships (i.e. Corporate, Non-Profits, Women Advocacy Groups, Celebrities)
- Building and updating media lists and databases
- Scheduling press and marketing events
- Monitor media coverage for successful execution of HoneyBee’s new initiative
- Test and optimize marketing tactics for customer acquisition (e.g. online advertising, direct mail, affiliate, strategic partnerships).
- Conduct and present competitive analysis and market research.
- Propose creative new projects that attract prospects and improve our brand narrative.
- Analyze, recommend and lead implementation of improvement initiatives.
Someone that is ready for a wild & chaotic journey and disrupt a $90 billion payday lending industry.
78% of Americans live paycheck and paycheck and have less than $500 in savings, over 110 million Americans are subprime or have no credit. Americans are starting to fall through the cracks in the traditional banking system because the industry is falling short for most consumers. HoneyBee is leveraging technology, our HR and broker community to create a massively scaled business that can challenge incumbents. If you want to know what this industry is doing to vulnerable families in America, watch Dirty Money Episode 2 Payday on Netflix.
Someone who is passionate and deeply cares about making a positive impact in people’s lives.
You will hear stories about how HoneyBee has changed people’s lives for the better. We empower HR to empower their employees to take control of their finances. The ideal candidate will share this passion and the following traits and skills.
We believe that a great candidate and HoneyBee ambassador requires the following traits: inclusiveness; humility; compassion; honesty; and discipline. You should value these traits in yourself and others.
The tasks of the job requires the following skills: the ability to listen; set and effectively communicate expectations; create plans; organize resources against those plans; and the ability to communicate results and receive feedback. Very, very few people are good at all of these things. We’ll help you get better at each of them and, ideally, you will do the same for us.
We want someone with strong communication skills and have a positive energy in person. What matters to us is your personal backgrounds. If you’ve had to overcome challenges in your life, you’ll be even more suited to connect with our audience. We want you to build trust with new networks and help them understand why financial wellness is important in the workplace. And, if you can tap into press networks that we don’t have, you’ll be able to expand your PR database.
And finally, familiarity with Google Docs, Photoshop, Illustrator, WordPress- these are the tools you’ll be using regularly, and you need to be very comfortable using them.
Notably, we’re not looking for leading experts. We’re looking for fast learners who know enough to know what they don’t know and be curious about the rest.
This role will be the first hire in our Growth team. We run lean and mean, this has pros and cons.
- The pro is that you’ll have a huge impact on creating this company and an inordinate amount of responsibility. We want this job to be the defining professional experience of your career. Where you take this opportunity is up to you, but our hope is “up and to the right” for long into the future. You will be involved in nearly everything we do.
- The con, of course, is that there will inevitably be some mundane and administrative work that is decidedly not glamorous. Your big ideas will have to be creatively executed with limited resources. It’s also unlikely you’ll have a direct report unless you demonstrate strong leadership when the team starts to grow rapidly.
- We don’t have a job title for this role yet but everyone starts at the same level no matter how senior you think you are. If you want to negotiate titles, you’re not the person we’re looking for. If you want to build something from the ground up, this might be the role for you.
Location: Los Angeles, California
Start Date: August 2019